Sunday, March 21, 2010

Friday, Jan. 8, 2010 - Drake Passage

We awoke for breakfast in rough seas, which is apparently typical for the Drake Passage. The weather was estimated be 35 knot winds with 12-15 foot waves. It was also snowing. Certainly not hurricane force, but the roughest waters I had ever experienced. I estimate about 30% of the passengers made it to breakfast. The rest were not feeling well and remained in their beds.

I think it is safe to say that everyone on the boat had some effects of seasickness. The effects are sleepiness, nausea, and vomiting. Everyone experienced sleepiness and many experienced nausea and vomiting. The ship seemed empty, on the upper deck lounge there were only 4 or 5 people around. A presentation might bring out a total of 10. I was one of a handful of passengers that was out and about the ship for the full day. Becky did throw up once, but she had not taken any medicine. I gave her some medicine and she slept. She soon felt better, but except for lunch and dinner, she slept most of the day.

I listened to a couple of presentations, listened to my music, and talked to the few that were up and about. I am not sure why I did not get very ill. I took my sea sickness medicine, but not very much because the first time I took it at the beginning of the trip it wiped me out. The prescription called for a dose every 8 hours. I used less than 2 doses for the whole episode. I was seated where I could usually view the horizon if needed. That seemed to help a lot. After awhile I definitely had my sea legs. In the evening I watched the on board movie without a horizon in sight and had a glass a wine.

Interestingly, the ship staff is well prepared for seasickness. The doctor enters every cabin with his own key to find out how people are doing. He distributes medicine and saltine crackers for those in need. Barf bags are in a pocket facing the hallway of every cabin door. That came in handy when another passenger started to vomit, I was able to get him a bag in quick order. The staff is very efficient about cleaning up the mess as well. I was startled about the number of passengers that had severe seasickness and could not even get out of bed. Several members of the staff were ill as well.

And so it was. At lunch there was probably 50% attendence and by dinner 75%.

The rough seas continued well into the evening, at one point it seemed like we were experiencing the worst. The ship was really rocking. You could feel the ship hit a wave and slow down and then lurch forward. The ship would make a creaking sound as it strained forward. It took me awhile to get to sleep.

No comments: