Sunday, December 21, 2008

Italy/Switzerland Review

Italy/Switzerland – Final Thoughts

Obviously Becky and I enjoyed the trip. I was surprised how well everything came together. I admit to having done some extensive planning. But you expect to miss a train or arrive at a hotel only to have your reservation misplaced. None of that happened. Becky did start out with an expired passport. But that was quickly remedied and had very little impact on our trip.

Here is an evaluation:

Itinerary

I would probably change two things. In the Berner Oberland I would stay in Wengen instead of Murren. If you stay in Wengen it is much closer to the Jungfrau “Top of Europe” attraction. The couple we met from North Carolina have been going to Switzerland for years. They said they enjoy Wengen. The other change would be to get a car and tour Tuscany instead of camping out in Siena. Siena was nice but did not give us the Tuscan experience we were looking for.

The day we spent traveling from the Italian Riviera to the Alps was long, but still relaxing. It was worth it to experience the varied destinations of Italy and Switzerland. Next time we will probably fly into one city and out another, you can cover more ground that way and the airfare does not seem to be that much more. Given we were visiting in late September I would also say that it may have been wiser to do the northern end (colder) first and then make our way south.

Hotels

Here I would would probably substitute a Tuscan villa for the Siena hotel. Other than that the rest of the accommodations worked out A-OK.

Transportation

Using train travel was a great move. They are generally frequent and efficient. The train stations are usually in central locations that avoid taxi fares or extra bus rides. Storing your luggage at the train station and then visiting a town or sight for a short time, really makes for efficient use of time. The German Train website, http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en, is invaluable for planning itineraries by rail.

Budget

The budget held together pretty well. We were well aware of what things would cost. We also knew that the dollar was really sucking. Switzerland was very expensive, more than we expected. Transportation and dining in that country can really hit the ceiling. I spent more on wine than I had planned, I don’t think it’s a crime.

Packing

I was amazed at what I could pack in my little carry-on suitcase. It has a separate section for my laptop. This is very convenient. I did not have to struggle with a separate laptop case and nobody really knows you have a laptop. We were able to cram everything we needed into those carry-ons. Guidebooks and reading books can be bulky and heavy. I am wondering if I could use the new Kindle from Amazon to take electronic books. It could save space and weight.

We did not have enough warm clothing for Switzerland. By traveling light it is hard to be prepared for all unexpected events. And in this case the problem was easily remedied by purchasing what we needed.

We packed only quick drying synthetic materials. For instance we did not bring denim jeans. They would be too bulky and since they are made of cotton would not dry quickly. For dress pants I had a pair of black pants I found in the golf-wear section at JC Penney’s. They look nice and are made for sporting activities. The thin synthetic material packed tightly. I carried a nice pull-over sweater that could look a bit dressy with a collared shirt, but also provided a layer of warmth when I needed it. Most of my other clothes were from REI. I love that place.

Of course shoes are extremely important. They also take up a lot of suitcase room. For walking shoes I have a nice pair of leather Timberlines. I packed a pair of dress shoes. There are some occasions where a sharper image is appropriate. I was also able to pack a pair of flip flops. They were not absolutely necessary, but I had some room so I threw them in.

One item we are unwilling to sacrifice is our camera. It certainly would be easier to use a pocket size camera, but our Cannon Rebel with the 28mm-300mm lens takes great pictures. We pack the whole thing. It fit in my suitcase along with my laptop. I was able to travel compactly and it was never obvious that I had expensive electronics with me.

The one luxury item I bring is a pair of noise canceling headphones. They cover my ears so they are fairly bulky. I use them for listening to music and watching movies either on the plane or elsewhere. I could get by without them but they make the sound clear and hearing effortless.

The most worthwhile item is the iPhone. It takes up practically no space and provides the traveler with a fantastic global resource.

  • Phone calls
  • Text messages
  • Movies
  • Music
  • Weather forecasts
  • Email
  • Pictures, immediately email them to friends/family
  • Google Maps
  • Podcasts/Language lessons/Audio tours

There is one item I wish I had. That would be a pair of comfortable thin fleece pants for lounging in the hotel room. I have been unable to find such a thing. They need to roll up tight.

Language

English was widely spoken in the areas we visited and you could get away without knowing Italian. However, it was very helpful to have learned a lot of Italian. We were able to pronounce the words and understand the writing. Our attempts to speak Italian were often appreciated.

Day-Tripping

Becky and I would just carry our small backpacks. I carried a sweater, rain jacket, camera, maps, guidebooks, snacks, water, hat, sunglasses, and sunblock. The backpacks are small and unassuming, but are more than adequate for carry everything you need for a day of sight-seeing.

Guidebooks

This is the second trip where we have used Rick Steves’ guidebooks. I am a big fan of the Rick Steves’ guidebooks. And not surprisingly, so are a lot of other people. Therein lies the problem. You may find that you are eating and sleeping with a bunch of other Americans and not experiencing the culture as is advocated by Rick Steves. I asked a couple of our hosts how much of their business comes directly from Rick Steves’ recommendations. They said 50%. Obviously Rick Steves has become quite successful. It is well deserved. But is he a victim of his own success?

The genius of the Rick Steves’ guidebooks lies in their ability to describe logistical details. No other guidebooks give you step by step instructions, such as showing you how to get from the airport terminal to your hotel room. On your own this can be a frustrating experience. But with Rick Steves it is easy, efficient, and cheap!

I think Rick Steves also gives you good sight-seeing priorities. He really does know where you want to be. So the trick may be to use the Rick Steves’ itineraries but find accommodations through other resources. I will be experimenting with this idea on our next trip.

Safety

I do not believe we ever felt unsafe at any time. We kept a low profile and maintained awareness of our surroundings. You always read that you should not look like a tourist. They tell you that having a camera hanging from your neck resting just above your beer belly while looking at a tourist map is inviting trouble. I think that is ridiculous advice. First of all, you are a tourist. Secondly, you drink beer. Look, the fact is you are typically in a tourist area. You need a map to figure out where to go and you record your adventure with a camera. End of story. You do need to know when to be discreet and when to be in full blown tourist mode. We are generally much more discreet while in transit and we try to be organized at all times. However, it should not prevent you from getting to a destination or preserving memories.

No comments: